Thursday, August 22, 2013

'How do you like them Coconuts!'......................................................................@teapartypassion....................................semioriginal song "17 Trillion" @ https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/17-trrrrilliion!!-single/id636938802


                                                        How do you like them Coconuts! 

     My last letter drew some praise, ire, and even some fire; it evidently struck a nerve.  The Editor of the Herald even changed my title from ‘Cornucopia’ to ‘Welfare Recipients’ and put an exhausting leftist letter after mine which inspired a ‘nap’.  The fact is the food stamp program, known as SNAP, has exponentially blossomed under Obama and is costing humble, some indignant,  American taxpayers billions of dollars.   Albeit my contribution is miniscule, per one reader, the money is not falling out of coconut trees; someone is paying for it!

      Some took offense that I described the young Latino couple at the store making a rather large yummy SNAP purchase.  I was accused of racially profiling and passing judgment.  Although my letter could have stood on its own without mentioning race, I was describing what I saw and questioning aloud what most folk are just thinking.  I guess I need some sensitivity training.  

     Some want to make this about racial profiling, my greed, and lack of compassion.  It is more about right and wrong, about values and ethics.  It is about not accepting handouts forever, but becoming independent American  Americans.  It is about not taking advantage of your fellow Americans.  When we start cloaking the truth in political and social correctness, we won’t be able to fix the problems we face nor contain an obese food stamp program that doubled under Obama. 

    

     My indignation is that this country is going into debt for nonessential wants.  My indignation is that most of us think carefully about our food purchases while others swipe a SNAP card for steaks and a coconut on our dime.  I bemoan the lack of accountability that will eventually bring this country down.   I bemoan that we will perish for lack of knowledge, awareness, and ACTION.    Shame on me for drawing attention to what I saw?  No, shame on those that take advantage.  And shame on us if we close our eyes and do not speak up when we see something that is wrong whether those involved be Red or Yellow, Black or White, and, yes, even Brown!

 

Mario diGesu                                           Truth or Consequences                                 8.18.13

 

No comments:

Post a Comment